India develops National Action Plan to combat Antimicrobial Resistance
(Topic: Health and Family Welfare)
About: Antimicrobial resistance is a serious threat to global public health that requires action across all government sectors
- Antimicrobial resistance is a serious threat to global public health that requires action across all government sectors and society and is driven by many interconnected factors.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution and Minister of Environment, Forest & Climate Change signed a ‘Delhi Declaration’ for collectively strategizing to contain AMR.
- It pledges to adopt a holistic and collaborative approach towards prevention and containment of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in India.
- It calls on all stakeholders including UN, WHO, FAO and other UN agencies, civil society organizations etc., to support the development and implementation of the national and state action plans on AMR.
- Health Ministry has taken a lead in this effort at international fora and has initiated series of actions including setting up a National Surveillance System for AMR, enacted regulations (Schedule-H-1) to regulate sale of antibiotics, brought out National Guidelines for use of antibiotics etc.
Legal Aid and Empowerment initiatives launched
(Topic: Government Schemes)
About: Ministry of Law and Justice inaugurated three welfare initiatives that would facilitate access to justice for the poor.
Pro-bono legal services
- It is a web based platform through which the interested lawyers can register themselves to volunteer services for litigants who are unable to afford it.
- It is aimed at facilitating delivery of legal advice through an expert panel of lawyers stationed at the State Legal Services Authorities (SLSA).
- The project would connect lawyers with clients through video conferencing facilities at CSCs.
- It is aimed at reducing pendency of cases across selected districts, with special focus on those pending for more than 10 years.
- A retired judicial officer, or an executive officer with judicial experience, will be put in charge of assisting those suffering due to judicial delays.
Commemoration of the National Panchayati Raj Day on 24th April 2017
(Topic: Indian Constitution)
About: Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Drinking Water and Sanitation and Rural Development to observe National Panchayati Raj Day on 24th April
During the National Panchayat Raj Day event at Lucknow , UP the following documents and applications will be launched.
- A quarterly Newsmagazine “Gramoday Sankalp”, published and distributed by Ministry of Panchayati Raj on behalf of three Ministries viz., Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Rural Development and Drinking Water and Sanitation. It is expected to be a direct communication between the Policy makers and Gram Panchayats.
- A Mobile App of “ Gramoday Sankalp”
- You Tube channel of the Ministry will also be launched to showcase the short video films of the Ministry featuring the inspirational success stories and best practices of panchayats.
- On National Panchayati Raj Day the national awards viz., Deendayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar, Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar will be conferred upon Panchayati Raj Institutions and e-Panchayat Puraskars to State Governments.
World Bank Approves $ 375 Million Loan for Developing National Waterway-1
(Topic: Infrastructure development)
About: News: World Bank has approved a $375 million loan for capacity augmentation of National Waterway-1(River Ganga) under Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP)
- NW-1 (River Ganga) under JMVP from Haldia to Varanasi (1390 Km)
- NW-1 is a waterway of national significance passing through Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal, serving the major cities of Allahabad, Varanasi, Ghazipur, Bhagalpur, Patna, Howrah, Haldia and Kolkata, and their industrial hinterland including several industries located in the Ganga basin
- Three multi-modal terminals–one each at Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh), Sahibganj (Jharkhand), and Haldia (West Bengal),
- Two inter-modal terminals- at Kalughat and Ghazipur,
- A new Navigation Lock at Farakka,
- Five Roll on-Roll off (Ro-Ro) terminals,
- Development of Ferry services at Varanasi, Patna, Bhagalpur, Munger, Kolkata and Haldia and Vessel repair and maintenance facilities
- Jal Marg Vikas project will enable IWAI setting up of River Information Service System on NW -1 for the first time in India.
- River Information System (RIS) are equipment, hardware and software information technology (IT) related services designed to optimize traffic and transport processes in inland navigation.
Global Exhibition on Services
About: The third edition of the Global Exhibition on Services was launched by President.
- India can be a key partner for emerging services such as facilities management, event and exhibition, urban infrastructure and environmental services.
- Global Exhibition on Services embraces as many as twenty vital services sectors for special focus.
- While some of the services are traditional ones such as tourism and hospitality and retail, many of the focus sectors are new to India and the world, including space services, sports services and wellness services.
- The services sector also contributes significantly to trade in goods including through supply chains and e-commerce. At a time when global merchandise trade is slowing down, trade in services can bring new benefits to the global economy even as technology, connectivity and knowledge drive its growth.
“Quality Mark” Award Scheme for Dairy Cooperatives initiated by NDDB
Background: As part of the innovative initiatives under the “White Revolution” umbrella Schemes, the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries has supported the National Dairy Development Board(NDDB) developed initiative of “Quality Mark” Award Scheme for dairy Cooperatives.
It is to promote and encourage enhancement of safety, quality and hygiene of milk and milk products manufactured by dairy cooperatives.
The quality mark scheme was rolled out on 6th January-2016. The initiative does not propose any new/ additional system for Food Safety and Quality Management but lays down minimum standards against each link of the processes required for ensuring quality and safety.
NDDB will register quality mark logo under Trademarks Act, 1998.
The Dairy units which meet the criteria for award of quality mark will be allowed to use the logo on the package containing milk and milk products
The assessment is a two-step process involving pre-assessment and a final assessment.
The pre-assessment largely covers the village level procurement and processing infrastructure availability, training manpower and the retail sales.
Only those dairy units that score over 70% in the preliminary assessment are considered for final assessment
The final assessment is made for the evaluation of 45 critical and 97 major parameters that influence the quality of the processed milk and milk products.
The award of Quality Mark shall be valid for three years subject to maintenance of quality, food safety standards and compliance with terms and conditions of the agreement.
Maiden Firing of BrahMos Land Attack Supersonic Cruise Missile
(Topic: Science and Technology)
About: Indian Navy successfully undertook the firing of BrahMos Land Attack Supersonic Cruise Missile from a ship INS Teg, a Guided Missile Frigate.
- BrahMos Missile has been jointly developed by India and Russia, and its Anti Ship variant has already been inducted into Indian Navy.
- Majority of the frontline ships of Indian Navy, like the Kolkata, Ranvir and Teg classes of ships, are capable of firing this missile.
- Land Attack variant of BrahMos Missile provides Indian Naval Ships the capability to precisely neutralise selected targets deep inland, far away from coast, from stand-off ranges at sea.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :