Concrete Maturity Meter: To measure the strength of concrete
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains III – Science & Technology
- The Construction Engineering Research Foundation (PCERF)- a non-profit body- has developed the country’s first indigenous Concrete Maturity Meter that determines the strength of concrete used in construction.
- The device can help in significantly reducing the margin of error in estimating the strength of a structure
- It also helps in cutting project costs (10-12%) as it will be available at 30% to 40% of the cost of the foreign maturity meter(₹3 – ₹5 Lakh) that is in use in the market
- The method to measure concrete strength is based on the principle that concrete strength is directly related to its hydration (temperature) and age (time)
- The device can also be directly connected to mobile phones so as to suit the techniques and skills of end users in India