Dolphin’s Nose: Joint Operation to crackdown on Espionage racket
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains III – Security
- In a joint operation —‘Dolphin’s Nose’ — conducted by the Andhra Pradesh State, Naval and Central intelligence agencies, seven naval personnel and hawala operator were arrested for alleged espionage and suspected links with Pakistan’s Inter Services Intelligence (ISI)
- Two of the personnel were from the Eastern Naval Command (ENC) and the rest from the Western Naval Command (WNC).
- The importance of the Eastern Naval Command (HQ at Vishakapatnam, AP) has grown with the presence of the Ship Building Centre, which builds the Arihant-class nuclear submarines.
- The ENC is also coming up withstrategic Naval Alternative Operations Base (NAOB)in Visakhapatnam district.
- The NAOB and the Arihant Project are listed under the “top-secret” strategic weapons projects and are directly under the control of the Prime Minister’s Office.