Finland gets world’s youngest PM
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Affairs; GS-I- Society (Women empowerment)
- The 34-year-old Finnish politician Sanna Marin, her country’s Transport Minister, will soon become the world’s youngest Prime Minister.
- The Transport Minister was chosen by Finland’s Social Democratic Party to succeed Prime Minister Antti Rinne who on December 3 announced he was resigning in the face of criticism over the government’s handling of a postal strike that lasted two weeks in November
- Prime Minister-elect Marin will be Finland’s third woman head of government.
- Marin will lead a five-party Centre-Left political coalition which are all led by women. Four of these women are in their early thirties.
- New Zealand PM JacindaArdern is 39, while Ukrainian premier Oleksiy Honcharuk is 35.