GIMS or Government Instant Messaging System
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Governance
- The government is testing a prototype of an Indian equivalent of popular messaging platforms, such as WhatsApp and Telegram, for secure internal use – codenamed GIMS
- Designed and developed by the Kerala unit of National Informatics Centre (NIC)
- GIMS is being packaged for employees of Central and state government departments and organisations for intra and inter organisation communications
- It is being developed as a secure Indian alternative without the security concerns attached with apps hosted abroad or those owned by foreign entities. Like WhatsApp, GIMS employs end-to-end encryption for one-to-one messaging
Do You know?
- There was a WhatsApp breach through a spyware called Pegasus some Indian users’ mobile devices were targeted
- Pegasus code can be transmitted via Whatsapp call.It sends the targets contacts, calls and messages to its controller. It can also turn the phone into a spy device by switching on the camera or microphone.