Poshan Abhiyaan: Merely 30% of the funds used after 3 years
Part of: GS Prelims and GS III- Governance & Health
- Barring Mizoram, Lakshadweep, Himachal Pradesh and Bihar, none of the state governments used even half of the sum granted in the past three years, according to an analysis of the data shared in Parliament.
- Average utilization of the funds allotted under the scheme, in the country is 29.97%
Value addition for Prelims
- The Poshan Abhiyaan, the Centrally sponsored scheme, is aimed at improving nutritional outcomes among pregnant women, lactating mothers and children
- 50% of the funding comes through budgetary support while remaining 50% is from the World Bank or other multilateral development banks.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is a multi-ministerial convergence mission with the vision to ensure attainment of malnutrition free India by 2022.
- Target:Reducing stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively.