5G: India decides to include Chinese telecom major Huawei in the 5G trial
Part of: GS Prelims and GS III- Science & Technology
- 5G is the 5th generation mobile network which will take much larger role than previous mobile network generations
- 1G delivered analog voice.
- 2G introduced digital voice (e.g., CDMA).
- 3G brought mobile data (e.g., CDMA2000).
- 4G LTE ushered in the era of mobile Internet.
- 5G supports new services (like IoT), uses spectrum better than 4G, faster than 4G(up to 20 Gigabits-per-second) and has more capacity than 4G (it will support a 100x increase in traffic capacity and network efficiency)
- Inclusion of the tech giant in the Indian scene had become a diplomatic issue with opposition from the U.S. and Japan.
- The Chinese major was banned by the U.S. in May 2019 on issues of security & privacy which led to an international campaign to stop other countries from including it in 5G projects