Department of Military Affairs (DMA): Created in the Defence Ministry,
Part of: GS Prelims and GS III- Security
- The Department of Military Affairs (DMA) has been created in the Defence Ministry, and General Bipin Rawat who is the new Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) will head it.
- The DMA will be the fifth department in the Ministry after the Department of Defence, the Department of Defence Production, the Department of Defence Research and Development and the Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare.
- The DMA’s mandate includes promoting jointness in procurement, training and staffing for the Services; facilitating restructuring of the military commands for optimal utilisation of resources by bringing about a jointness in operations, including through the establishment of joint/theatre commands and promoting use of indigenous equipment
- The DMA would deal with
- The armed forces;
- The integrated headquarters of the Ministry, comprising the Army, Naval and Air and defence staff headquarters;
- The Territorial Army; and
- Works relating to the three services and procurement exclusive to them, except capital acquisitions.