Drosophila conference: To be held in India for first time
Part of: GS Prelims
- Drosophila is a genus of two-winged flies commonly known as fruit flies.
- Pune is set to host the fifth edition of the Asia-Pacific Drosophila Research Conference which is being organised in the country for the first time by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER).
- Its genome is entirely sequenced and there is enormous information available about its biochemistry, physiology and behaviour,
- Drosophila is one of the most widely-used and preferred model organisms in biological research across the world for the last 100 years.
- Approximately 60% of a group of readily identified genes that are mutated, amplified, or deleted in a diverse set of human diseases have a counterpart in Drosophila.