Establishment of Chairs named after eminent Women in Universities
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Society, GS-II- Education
- Union Ministry of Women and Child Development sets up ten Chairs in different fields with an aim to carry out research activities to encourage women.
- The initiative was launched with the assistance of University Grants Commission on the occasion of National Girl Child Day (January 24).
- Objective: To highlight and celebrate women achievers of the country to motivate young girls and women towards higher studies.
- The chairs proposed by UGC and approved by the Ministry are:
- Administration: Devi Ahilyabai Holkar
- Literature: Mahadevi Varma
- Freedom Fighter (North East): Rani Gaidinliu
- Medicine & Health: Anandibai Gopalrao Joshi
- Performing Art: Madurai Shanmukhavadivu Subbulakshmi
- Forest/Wildlife Conservation: Amrita Devi (Beniwal)
- Mathematics: Lilavati
- Science: Kamala Sohonie
- Poetry & Mysticism: Lal Ded
- Educational Reforms: Hansa Mehta