Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains I – Culture
- The eight States of the Northern Eastern Region will participate in a big way during the Madhavpur Mela of Gujarat due to be held in the first week of April 2020.
- Madhavpur lies on the seashore, close to Porbandar. A 15th century Madhavrai temple marks the site.
- The Madhavpur Ghed, a small but culturally significant village, is the place where, according to folklore, Lord Krishna married Rukmini, the daughter of King Bhishmaka.
- This event is commemorated by a cultural fair held every year, commencing on Ram Navam
- The Madhavpur Mela of Gujarat shares its connect to the Mishmi Tribe of Arunachal Pradesh. The Mishmi Tribe traces its ancestry to the legendary King Bhishmak and through him to his daughter Rukmini and Lord Krishna.