NASA reported the discovery of an Earth-size planet
Part of: GS Prelims – National Income and GS-III- Science & Technology
- NASA reported the discovery of an Earth-size planet, named TOI 700 d
- Found by NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) mission
Do you know?
- Life on Earth started in water, and water is a necessary ingredient for life
- When scientists search for the possibility of alien life, any rocky exoplanet in the habitable zone of its star is an exciting find.
Value addition for Prelims
Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) mission
- Space telescope for NASA’s Explorers program,
- Designed to search for exoplanet
- Also called as the habitable zone
- It is the range of orbits around a star within which a planetary surface can support liquid water given sufficient atmospheric pressure
- Also Extrasolar planet is a planet outside the Solar System.
- least massive planet known is Draugr
- HR 2562 b is the most massive planet known