National Human Rights Commission
Part of: GS Prelims and GS II- Indian Polity
- NHRC issued a notice to the Rajasthan government in connection with the deaths of over 100 children at the government-run hospital in Kota, Rajasthan in December 2019.
Value Addition for Prelims
- NHRC of India is an independent statutory body established in 1993 as per provisions of Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, later amended in 2006.
- It was established in conformity with the Paris Principles, adopted for the promotion and protection of human rights in Paris (October, 1991) and endorsed by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 20 December, 1993.
- NHRC is a multi-member body which consists of a Chairman and seven other members appointed by the President, on recommendation of high-powered committee headed by Prime Minister. Out of the seven members, three are ex-officio member.
- NHRC can only make recommendations, without the power to enforce decisions.
- NHRC does not have any mechanism of investigation. In majority cases, it asks the concerned Central and State Governments to investigate the cases of the violation of Human Rights