Smog Towers: Delhi gets its first tower to tackle pollution
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains III- Environment Conservation.
- Smog towers are structures designed to work as large-scale air purifiers.
- These air filters shall draw in the air through fans installed at the top before passing it through the filters and releasing it near the ground.
- The filters installed in the tower will use carbon nanofibres as a major component and will focus on reducing particulate matter load.
- The Supreme Court had directed the Centre and the Delhi government to prepare a plan to install ‘smog towers’ across the capital to deal with air pollution.
- The 100m Xi’an tower in China which is dubbed the world’s largest has reportedly brought down PM 2.5 by 19% in an area of around 6 sq km in its vicinity.