Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act
The Communist Party of India (Marxist) [CPI(M)] is making an earnest bid to steer clear of the row over the police slamming the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
From Prelims Point of View:
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment
- Seeks to amend the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967
- UAPA provides special procedures to deal with terrorist activities, among other things.
- To designate individuals as terrorists on certain grounds provided in the Act.
- The Bill empowers the Director General of NIA to grant approval of seizure or attachment of property when the case is investigated by the said agency.
- The Bill empowers the officers of the NIA, of the rank of Inspector or above, to investigate cases of terrorism
Need for the Amendment
- India faces one of the highest threats of terrorism in the world and therefore its counter-terrorism mechanism must be stringent.
- USA has a very successful example of counter-terrorism mechanism, especially after 9/11, and has been successful in curbing terrorist activities.