Karnataka and 9 other states accounts for 65% of TB cases
Part of: GS Prelims –Sci & Tech and GS-II- Health
- Assam, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal are States where TB cases are high.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare takes measures in these States to eliminate TB by 2025 ahead of the Sustainable Development Goals target year of 2030.
IASbaba’s Value addition:
World Health Organization (WHO) has recently released 2019 Global Tuberculosis (TB) Report.
- TB remains the top infectious killer in the world claiming over 4,000 lives a day.
- Eight countries that accounted for two thirds of the global total include India (27%), China (9%) and Indonesia (8%).
- India (27%), China (9%) and Indonesia (8%) are in WHO’s list of 30 high TB burden countries that accounted for 87% of the world’s cases in 2018.
WHO End TB Strategy:
- Aims to end the global TB epidemic, with targets to reduce TB deaths by 95% cut new cases by 90% between 2015 and 2035, sets interim milestones for 2020, 2025, and 2030.
- The Government has set a target of Zero-Tuberculosis deaths by the year 2025.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched the National Strategic Plan for TB Elimination in 2017.
National Strategic Plan (NSP) for TB Elimination :
- VISION: TB-Free India with zero deaths, disease and poverty due to tuberculosis.
- GOAL: To achieve a rapid decline in the burden of TB, morbidity and mortality while working towards the elimination of TB in India by 2025.
- PILLARS : Detect – Treat – Prevent – Build [DTPB]
- Tuberculosis is a contagious airborne disease, which can be acquired from close contact with an infected person.
- Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :