nCoV outbreak declared a State calamity in Kerala
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II – Secularism
- A high-level group of Ministers has been constituted on the directions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to review the management of the outbreak.
From Prelims Point of View:
Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV :
- coronavirus is a large family of viruses that are often the source of respiratory infections, including the common cold.
- According to the World Health Organization, during previous outbreaks due to other coronaviruses, human-to-human transmission occurred through droplets or objects making contact, suggesting that the transmission mode of the 2019-nCoV can be identical.
- Symptoms may include fever, cough and shortness of breath.
- Antibiotics do not work against such viral pneumonia and there are no vaccines against them.
- Virus is contagious even during incubation, that is even before a patient exhibits any symptoms. This characteristic amplifies transmissibility.