New structure for Military Affairs
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), procurement cases will be put up as prioritised by the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
- Formal structure comprising civil and military officials for the Department of Military Affairs (DMA) headed by the CDS (At present, we have an interim structure, they have no financial power)
- The proposed DMA will have a Secretary, Transformation and Coordination, which will be the Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (IDS), Additional Secretary and five Joint Secretaries.
- Additional Secretary will be a three-star officer while the Joint Secretaries include three officers, one from each service of the rank of Major General or equivalent ,Major Gen.
From Prelims Point of view:
Department of Military Affairs:
- The DMA will be the fifth department in the Ministry after the Department of Defence, the Department of Defence Production, the Department of Defence Research and Development and the Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare.
- The DMA’s mandate includes promoting jointness in procurement, training and staffing for the Services; facilitating restructuring of the military commands for optimal utilisation of resources by bringing about a jointness in operations, including through the establishment of joint/theatre commands and promoting use of indigenous equipment
The DMA would deal with
- The armed forces;
- The integrated headquarters of the Ministry, comprising the Army, Naval and Air and defence staff headquarters;
- The Territorial Army; and
- Works relating to the three services and procurement exclusive to them, except capital acquisitions
Defence Acquisition Council
- Highest decision-making body in the Defence Ministry
- Decides on new policies and capital acquisitions for the three services (Army, Navy and Air Force) and the Indian Coast Guard.
- Minister of Defence is the Chairman of the Council.
- Formed, after the Group of Ministers recommendations on ‘Reforming the National Security System’, in 2001, post Kargil War (1999).
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) (Important for Mains)
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :