Pro-militant tweets cited in PSA(Public Safety Act ) file
Part of: GS Prelims –Polity and GS-II- Constitution
- Former Chief Minister and PDP president Mehbooba Mufti has been booked under Public Safety Act (PSA)
From Prelims Point of View:
- The Public Safety Act (PSA) of Jammu & Kashmir is an administrative detention law
- Act extends to the whole of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Allows detention of any individual for up to two years without a trial or charge.
- Without a warrant, specific charges, and often for an unspecified period of time.
- The detaining authority is not required to reveal any facts “which it considers being against the public interest to disclose”.
- Detention order under the PSA is issued either by the Divisional Commissioner or District Magistrate.
“in the case of a person acting in any manner prejudicial to the security of the state”,
“any person is acting in any manner prejudicial to the maintenance of public order”.
- (2012 Amendment ) the detention of a person below the age of 18 was strictly prohibited under this Act.
- Produced before the magistrate within 24 hours.
- The Advisory Board is a non-judicial body established to review detention orders and determine whether there is sufficient cause for detention.