Received privilege motion against Minister: Speaker
Part of: GS Prelims –Polity and GS-II- Parliament
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla received the notice of privilege motion
From Prelims Point of view :
Privilege motion :
- Rights and immunities enjoyed by members of Parliament, individually and collectively, so that they can “effectively discharge their functions”.
- When any of these rights and immunities are disregarded, the offence is called a breach of privilege and is punishable under law of Parliament
- A notice is moved in the form of a motion by any member of either House against those being held guilty of breach of privilege.
- Speaker/RS chairperson is the first level of scrutiny of a privilege motion.
- The Speaker/Chair can decide on the privilege motion himself or herself or refer it to the privileges committee of Parliament