Part of: Prelims and GS-I- History
- Jammu Airport and the Jammu University to be renamed after Hindu Dogra monarchs Maharaja Hari Singh and Maharaja Gulab Singh, respectively
- Maharaja Gulab Singh founded the Dogra dynasty and became the first monarch of Jammu & Kashmir kingdom in 1846.
- J&K was annexed by the Sikhs in 1819 and Gulab Singh was made Raja of the state by Sikhs in 1820
- In the First Sikh War (1845–46), Maharaja Gulab Singh held aloof and then appeared as a mediator. As a reward, Jammu & Kashmir was given to him by the British for a cash payment
- Maharaja Hari Singh was the last Dogra monarch, who acceded to India in 1947. He contributed troops to British war effort in World War II and served on Churchill’s imperial War cabinet