Essential Commodities Act
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance
- Government puts masks and hand sanitisers under Essential Commodities Act.
- ECA enacted by Parliament in 1955 provides for the regulation and control of production, distribution and pricing of commodities which are declared as essential.
- Aim: Maintaining/increasing supplies/securing equitable distribution and availability of these commodities at fair prices.
- The Centre can include new commodities as and when the need arises, and can take them off the list once the situation improves (in view of public interest).
- Once a notification is issued, anybody trading or dealing in a commodity, be it wholesalers, retailers or even importers are prevented from stockpiling it beyond a certain quantity
- States are the implementing agencies to EC Act, 1955