Essential Commodities Act
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance
- Government puts masks and hand sanitisers under Essential Commodities Act.
- ECA enacted by Parliament in 1955 provides for the regulation and control of production, distribution and pricing of commodities which are declared as essential.
- Aim: Maintaining/increasing supplies/securing equitable distribution and availability of these commodities at fair prices.
- The Centre can include new commodities as and when the need arises, and can take them off the list once the situation improves (in view of public interest).
- Once a notification is issued, anybody trading or dealing in a commodity, be it wholesalers, retailers or even importers are prevented from stockpiling it beyond a certain quantity
- States are the implementing agencies to EC Act, 1955
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :