Indian Council of Medical Research and COVID-19 Testing
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance
- ICMR has decided to monitor community transmission by random sampling rather than expanding testing.
- This decision has been taken to avoid “futile testing” as well as hospitalisation for mildly symptomatic, positive patients.
Four Stages of Transmission of COVID-19
- Stage 1-Imported Transmission
- Stage 2-Local Transmission
- Transmission through direct contact with an infected person within the country.
- Stage 3-Community Transmission
- It signifies that a virus is circulating in the community and can affect people with no history of travel to affected areas or of contact with an infected person.
- India’s strategy on social distancing and isolation is aimed at checking community transmission.
- Stage 4- Epidemic
- An epidemic is a large outbreak, one that spreads among a population or region.
- It is less severe than pandemic due to a limited area of spread.