Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Art and Culture
- Kavutheendal ceremony, a part of the Meena Bharani festival, was recently performed at Sri Kurumba Bhagavathy Temple in Kerala.
- The ceremony usually sees huge number of devotees.
- Amidst the coronavirus lockdown, the ceremony was performed by a representative of the Velan community, without the presence of any devotee.
Important value additions:
- It is considered as the largest congregation of oracles in the world.
- This ritual is based on the notions of purity/impurity inherent in Brahminical Hinduism.
- The community belongs to scheduled caste that lives mainly in Kerala.
Sri Kurumba Bhagavathy Temple
- It is a Hindu temple at Kodungallur of Kerala state in India.
- It is dedicated to the goddess Bhadrakali, a form of Maha Kali worshipped in Kerala.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :