Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Art and Culture
- Kavutheendal ceremony, a part of the Meena Bharani festival, was recently performed at Sri Kurumba Bhagavathy Temple in Kerala.
- The ceremony usually sees huge number of devotees.
- Amidst the coronavirus lockdown, the ceremony was performed by a representative of the Velan community, without the presence of any devotee.
Important value additions:
- It is considered as the largest congregation of oracles in the world.
- This ritual is based on the notions of purity/impurity inherent in Brahminical Hinduism.
- The community belongs to scheduled caste that lives mainly in Kerala.
Sri Kurumba Bhagavathy Temple
- It is a Hindu temple at Kodungallur of Kerala state in India.
- It is dedicated to the goddess Bhadrakali, a form of Maha Kali worshipped in Kerala.