Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Polity
- The Vice President of India appealed to all Members of Parliament to contribute at least Rs. 1 crore initially from their MPLADS funds.
- The funds shall supplement the Government’s efforts in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.
- The contribution will facilitate Members of Parliament to recommend funds for purchase of the equipments for Government Hospitals / Dispensaries.
- The Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation has suitably amended the relevant guidelines to allow one-time dispensation under MPLADS for managing COVID-19.
Important value additions:
- It is a scheme formulated by the Government of India that enables the members of parliaments (MP) to recommend developmental work in their constituencies.
- The emphasis is on creating durable community assets based on locally felt needs.
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) looks into its working.
- The funds released under the scheme are non-lapsable.
- The MPs have a recommendatory role under the scheme.
- The MPLADS is fully funded by the Government of India.
- The annual MPLADS fund entitlement per MP constituency is Rs. 5 crore.