Pakke Tiger Reserve
Part of: GS Prelims – Environment and GS Mains III- Conservation
- Recently there was an opposition to not to pursue a proposed highway through the ‘nationally important’ Pakke Tiger Reserve.
From Prelims Point Of View:
- Lies in the foothills of the eastern Himalaya in the East Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh. It is also known as Pakhui Tiger Reserve.
- Falls within the Eastern Himalaya Biodiversity Hotspot.
- Known for its amazing sightings of four resident hornbill species.
- India is home to nine species of hornbills. three of them, the wreathed hornbill (Aceros undulatus), the brown hornbill (Anorrhinus austeni) and the Rufous-necked hornbill (Aceros nipalensis)great hornbill is the state bird of Arunachal Pradesh and Kerala.
- It is ‘vulnerable’ under the IUCN Red list.
- Hornbill festival celebrated in Nagaland is named after the bird – Hornbill which is the most revered and admired bird for the Nagas.