Per Capita Availability of Water
Part of: Prelims and GS-III- Economy
- The average annual per capita water availability in the years 2001 was 1816 cubic meters while it reduced to 1545 cubic meters in 2011
- This may further reduce to 1486 cubic meters in 2021 and 1367 cubic meters in 2031
- As per Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, 135 litre per capita per day (lpcd) has been suggested as the benchmark for urban water supply.
- For rural areas, a minimum service delivery of 55 lpcd has been fixed under Jal Jeevan Mission, which may be enhanced to higher level by states
- As per NCIWRD percentage of water used for irrigation out of the total water use for the year 1997-98 was 83.30%. The same is estimated to decrease to 72.48% by 2025.
- NCIWRD= National Commission for Integrated Water Resources Development