PM calls for SAARC videoconference on COVID-19
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- International Affairs
- The aim of the conference to discuss a common strategy to tackle COVID-19.
- SAARC has had no summit level meeting since 2014, and has been shelved since then due to India-Pakistan tensions
- Set up in 1985, SAARC was the first such grouping for the South Asian region.
- SAARC members include: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka
- While SAARC member-states occupy just 3% of the world’s landmass, they account for 21% of its population.
- SAARC secretariat is based in Kathmandu