Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and technology
- A technology, titled Scitech Airon, has been developed by an incubatee company of Scitech Park, Pune.
- It offers an effective solution for India’s fight against COVID-19.
- The technology reduces the viral load of infected areas within a room significantly within an hour.
- It has been developed under the NIDHI PRAYAS program initiated by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- It helps to control the virus, bacteria, and fungal infections in a closed environment.
- It would help in ensuring wellbeing of the staff, doctors, and nurses working in the quarantine facilities by enhancing their disease resistance power and ability to fight the virus.
- DST has released Rs 1 crore to manufacture and scale up the product.
- The technology has been scientifically tested by various globally renowned labs in different types of closed environments.
Important value additions:
NIDHI PRAYAS program
- National Initiative for Developing and Harnessing Innovations (NIDHI) is an umbrella programme conceived and developed by the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India, for nurturing ideas and innovations (knowledge-based and technology-driven) into successful start-ups.
- Under this initiative, DST has launched NIDHI- Promoting and Accelerating Young and ASpiring innovators & startups (NIDHI-PRAYAS) program.
- The program caters to idea-stage entrepreneurs with a physical product offering.
- It would also facilitate the innovators with the Physical infrastructure, Technical Guidance, Business Mentorship etc.