Tech for Tribal
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II-Governance
- It is an initiative of TRIFED supported by Ministry of MSME
- The project aims at capacity building and imparting entrepreneurship skills to tribal forest produce gatherers enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana(PMVDY).
- The trainees will undergo a 30 days program over six weeks comprising 120 sessions.
- Partnering Institutions: IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Roorkee, IIM Indore, Kalinga Institute of Social Science, Bhubaneshwar and SRIJAN, Jaipur
Prelims Value Addition
About Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana(PMVDY).
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED, launched in 2018, to improve tribal incomes through the value addition of tribal products.
- It is a Market Linked Tribal Entrepreneurship Development Program for forming clusters of tribal Self-Help-Groups (SHGs) and strengthening them into Tribal Producer Companies
- It aims to set-up tribal community owned Minor Forest Produce (MFP)-centric multi-purpose Van Dhan Vikas Kendras.
- The Kendras would act as common facility centres for procurement cum value addition to locally available MFPs.
- One typical Van Dhan Vikas Kendra comprises of 15 Self Help Groups, each consisting of 20 Tribal gatherers.
- These SHGs will get training on sustainable harvesting/collection, primary processing & value addition and also provided with working capital to conduct their business.