The Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Polity
- The Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Bill, 2020 was recently passed in the parliament.
- It provides for requirement of opinion of one registered medical practitioner for termination of pregnancy up to 20 weeks of gestation.
- Opinion of two registered medical practitioners is required for termination of pregnancy of 20 to 24 weeks of gestation.
- The provisions relating to the length of pregnancy shall not apply in cases where the termination of pregnancy is necessitated by the diagnosis of any of the substantial foetal abnormalities diagnosed by a Medical Board.
- Privacy of a woman, whose pregnancy has been terminated, must be protected.