World Tuberculosis Day
Part of: GS-Prelims and Mains GS-II- Health
- It is observed every year on 24th March, to commemorate the anniversary discovery of the TB bacteria by Dr. Robert Koch in 1882.
- Objective: To build public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB).
- UN has marked 2030 as a global target to eliminate TB worldwide
- National Strategic Plan for Tuberculosis Elimination (2017-2025) by Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare aims to eliminate the prevalence of TB by 2025
Prelims Value Addition
- Nikshay Poshan Yojana (NPY) is a direct benefit transfer (DBT) scheme for nutritional support to TB patients rolled out in April 2018 by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Under the Yojana, financial incentive of Rs.500/month is to be provided for each notified TB patient (registered on NIKSHAY portal) for duration during which the patient is on anti-TB treatment.
- NPY is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme under National Health Mission
- ‘TB Harega Desh Jeetega’ Campaign was launched in Sep 2019 consisting of three pillars – clinical approach, public health component and active community participation – as a part of strategy to eliminate TB by 2025