Anthurium flowers: Indoor air purifiers
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Biodiversity and Indigenous Technology
- National Innovation Foundation-India (NIF) has recently boosted new varieties of Anthurium, a flower with high market value.
- These flowers which help to purify air are cultivated by a lady innovator from Kerala.
Important value additions:
- It is a vast group of beautiful blooming plants available in a wide range of colors.
- These are large beautiful flowers.
- These have better shelf life and good market value.
- They remove harmful airborne chemicals like formaldehyde, ammonia, toluene, xylene, and allergens.
- Due to Its importance of removing toxic substances from the air, NASA has placed it in the list of air purifier plants.
National Innovation Foundation-India
- It is India’s national initiative to strengthen the grassroots technological innovations and outstanding traditional knowledge.
- Mission: To help India become a creative and knowledge-based society.
- It was set up with the support of Honey Bee Network.
- NIF supports grassroots innovations which are developed by individuals and local communities in any technological field without any help from formal sector.
- It also tries to ensure that such innovations spread widely through commercial and/or non-commercial channels which will help in generating material or non-material incentives for the innovators.
Image source: Click here