Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) survey: Industries struggle amidst the pandemic
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Industries
- Companies were surveyed recently regarding the difficulties being faced by them due to the lockdown which was imposed to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.
- Almost half of the industries which have been allowed to reopen still face hurdles in obtaining permits to function and passes for employees.
- 60% of surveyed companies faced disruption in the movement of inputs and finished goods.
- Only 15% of them said that movement of raw materials and finished goods was taking place smoothly.
- 23% said such movement was not taking place at all.
- 19% of companies said permits were not available to them.
- 27% said they had faced delays.
- 67% said the daily commute was problematic.
- Only 10% of plants were functioning at more than 50% of their full capacity.
- Only 9% of firms have more than half their workers back on site.
- CII demanded that businesses should be allowed to function without need of permits in non-containment areas.
- Also, workers should be allowed to commute to work in their own vehicles on the basis of a letter issued by the employer without need of a government pass.
Important value additions:
Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- CII is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry-led and industry-managed organization.
- Founded in 1895, it works with the Government on policy issues.
Image source: Click here
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :