Food grains to be provided to non-NFSA beneficiaries
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Governance
- Food grains shall be provided to non-NFSA (National Food Security Act) beneficiaries with ration cards issued by State governments.
- Government of India has directed Food Corporation of India (FCI) to provide the beneficiaries with food grains at 5 Kg/person per month for 3 months at the rates of Rs. 21/Kg for wheat and Rs. 22/Kg for rice.
- It should be distributed uniformly across the country.
Important value additions:
National Food Security Act
- Government of India enacted the National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA).
- The Act covers upto 75% of the rural population and upto 50% of the urban population.
- The targeted population shall receive subsidized foodgrains under Targeted Public Distribution System, thus covering about two-thirds of the population.
- Ministry involved: Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.