Hydrogen fuel based buses and cars: Expression of Interest issued by NTPC
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment; Science and Technology
- NTPC Ltd, has invited Global Expression of Interest (EoI) to provide Hydrogen Fuel Cell (FC) based electric buses and electric cars in Leh and Delhi.
- NTPC Ltd. Is India’s largest power producer and a central PSU under Ministry of Power.
- The move to procure Hydrogen Fuel Cell based vehicles is first of its kind project in the country.
- Under this project, a complete solution from green energy to the fuel cell vehicle would be developed.
- The initiative has been undertaken with support of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- The initiative will also harness renewable energy for generation of hydrogen and develop its storage and dispensation facilities at Leh and Delhi.
- The project aims at reducing carbon emissions from automobiles.
Important value additions:
- Hydrogen does not occur free in nature in useful quantities.
- It can be made from natural gas or it can be made by passing electric current through water.
- When hydrogen is burned, it only emits water vapour and carbon dioxide (CO2) is not produced.
- It is more efficient than internal combustion engine.
- However, manufacturing hydrogen fuel based vehicle is still expensive.