Testing, treatment made available for free under Ayushman Bharat scheme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health; Welfare schemes
- The Central government has decided to provide free testing and treatment of COVID-19 under the Ayushman Bharat Scheme.
- The empaneled hospitals can use their own authorised testing facilities or tie up with an authorised testing facility for the scheme.
- These tests would be carried out as per the protocol set by Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR).
- Private labs approved by the ICMR can carry out the tests.
- Private hospitals shall also be covered under Ayushman Bharat Scheme to increase the rate of testing.
Important value additions:
Ayushman Bharat Scheme.
- It is a flagship scheme of the Indian government’s National Health Policy.
- It aims to provide free health coverage at the secondary and tertiary level to its bottom 40% poor and vulnerable population.
- It is the world’s largest and fully state sponsored health assurance scheme.