Coir geo textiles accepted for rural road construction
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure; Environment
- Coir Geo textiles has been accepted as a good material for rural road construction under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana-III (PMGSY-III).
- As per these instructions, 5% length of the rural roads under PMGSY-III will be constructed using Coir Geo textiles.
- The decision opens up a huge market potential and will be a boon to the Coir Board which comes under the Ministry of MSME of the Central government.
Important value additions:
The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- It is a nationwide plan in India to provide good all-weather road connectivity to unconnected villages.
- This is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
Coir Geo Textile
- It is a permeable fabric, natural, strong and highly durable.
- It is resistant to rots, moulds and moisture and is free from any microbial attack.
- It is totally biodegradable.
- It helps in soil stabilisation and renew vegetation in varying slopes.
Image source: Coir Board