J&K Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) Bench to deal with service matters
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Polity
- The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) Bench of J&K will deal with all service matters of the employees of the Central government and the Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh
- Earlier, Chandigarh Bench of CAT used to deal with these matters..
Important value additions:
Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT)
- It was established under Article 323 – A of the Constitution.
- Mandate: To adjudicate (formal judgement) disputes and complaints related to recruitment and conditions of service of persons who are appointed to public services and posts.
- The Tribunal exercises the same jurisdiction and authority in case of contempt of itself as that of a High Court under Section 17 of the Administrative Tribunal Act, 1985.
- The Tribunal is guided by the principles of natural justice in deciding cases.
- It is not bound by the procedure prescribed by the Civil Procedure Code.
- Salaries, allowances and conditions of service: As specified by the Central Government.