Katkari tribe generate income through Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-I – Culture & GS-II – Welfare schemes
- Katkari tribal youth from Shahpur in Maharashtra were in news recently for selling Giloy and other products online during lockdown.
- They received help under the Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY).
- Giloy is an Ayurvedic herb that has been used and advocated in Indian medicine for ages.
Important value additions
- The Katkari are an Indian Tribe mostly belonging to the state of Maharashtra.
- Katkari is one of the 75 Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs).
- The Madia Gond and the Kolam are other tribal groups included in this group.
- Their vulnerability derives from their history as a nomadic, forest-dwelling people.
- They were listed by the British Raj under the Criminal Tribes Act of 1871.
- They are subjected to the stigma even to this day.
- Presently, the Katkari are a fragmented and very scattered community.
- They are highly dependent on others for their livelihoods.
- Most Katkari are landless workers.
The Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY)
- It was launched in 2018.
- The scheme is run by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
- It is an initiative targeting livelihood generation for tribals by harnessing the wealth of forest i.e. Van Dhan.
- The programme aims to tap into traditional knowledge & skill sets of tribals by adding technology & IT to upgrade it at each stage.
- The initiative shall provide enhanced livelihood to about 45 lakhs tribal gatherers in one year.
- Tribal community owned Minor Forest Produce (MFP)-centric multi-purpose Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (the Kendra) are set up.
- Essential Features of the PMVDY:
- The State Nodal Department will have the flexibility to appoint any State Implementing Agency / District Implementing Unit for implementation of the PMVDY in the State and District levels.
- The Kendras would act as common facility centres for procurement cum value addition to locally available MFPs.
- A typical Van Dhan Vikas Kendra shall constitute of 15 tribal Van Dhan Self Help Groups (SHG)
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :