Kheer Bhawani Mela gets cancelled amidst COVID-19 pandemic
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-I – Culture
- The Annual Kheer Bhawani Mela was cancelled recently because of COVID-19 pandemic in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
Important value additions
Kheer Bhawani Mela
- It is an Annual Festival celebrated by Kashmiri Pandits.
- The devotees of the Goddess Mata Kheer Bhawani fast and gather here on the day of “Zeshta Ashtami,” the eighth day of the full moon in the month of May/June.
- According to belief, the Goddess changes the colour of the spring’s waters during this month.
- Ragyna Devi Temple in Tulmulla Ganderbal village, near Srinagar (J&K) is popularly known as “Mata Kheer Bhawani temple”.
- The temple is dedicated to the Goddess kheer Bhawani.
- The term kheer refers to rice pudding that is offered in the spring located in the temple to Please the Goddess.
- This is the most important temple for Kashmiri Pandits.
Image source: Click here