New Parliament project gets Central Vista panel nod
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Parliament
- The Indian government’s plan to construct a new Parliament building was recently approved by the Central Vista Committee.
- The committee is chaired by Central Public Works Department (CPWD) additional director general (works).
- The committee met through videoconferencing.
Important value additions:
- The construction of a new Parliament is a part of the larger revamp of the entire 3-km Central Vista from Rashtrapati Bhavan till India Gate.
- The project was proposed by the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry and its construction agency, the CPWD.
- The plan includes constructing a new triangular Parliament opposite the existing heritage structure and building a central secretariat for all Ministries.
- The CPWD said the estimated cost of the project was Rs.922 crore.