Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) inaugurated for Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Statutory Bodies
- Union Minister of Personnel & Public Grievances recently inaugurated the Bench of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) for the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.l
- CAT Bench of Jammu shall deal exclusively with service matters of government employees.
- It would reduce the burden of various Courts.
- Jammu (UT of J&K) and Srinagar (UT of Ladakh) shall be seats of these tribunals.
Important value additions
Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT)
- It is established under Article 323 – A of the Constitution.
- To adjudicate disputes and complaints with respect to recruitment and conditions of service of persons appointed to public services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or other authorities under the control of the Government.
- Under Section 17 of the Administrative Tribunal Act, 1985, it has the power to exercise the same jurisdiction and authority in respect of contempt of itself as a High Court.
- It is guided by the principles of natural justice in deciding cases.
- It is not bound by the procedure prescribed by the Civil Procedure Code.
- Salaries, allowances and conditions of service of the officers and other employees are specified by the Central Government.