China opposes to the presence of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in South Korea
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, China objected to the presence of the USA’s THAAD missile defence system in South Korea.
- THAAD is a transportable, ground-based missile defence system.
- It is coupled with space-based and ground-based surveillance stations.
- These stations transfer data about the incoming missile and inform the THAAD interceptor missile of the threat type classification.
- Space-based satellites also have infrared sensors which raise alarm about incoming missiles.
- It has been designed and manufactured by the US company Lockheed Martin.
- It has been deployed in South Korea, UAE, Guam, Israel and Romania.
- In South Korea, it is operated by the US army stationed in its army base in Osan, South Korea.
Image source: The Indian Express