China opposes to the presence of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in South Korea
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, China objected to the presence of the USA’s THAAD missile defence system in South Korea.
- THAAD is a transportable, ground-based missile defence system.
- It is coupled with space-based and ground-based surveillance stations.
- These stations transfer data about the incoming missile and inform the THAAD interceptor missile of the threat type classification.
- Space-based satellites also have infrared sensors which raise alarm about incoming missiles.
- It has been designed and manufactured by the US company Lockheed Martin.
- It has been deployed in South Korea, UAE, Guam, Israel and Romania.
- In South Korea, it is operated by the US army stationed in its army base in Osan, South Korea.
Image source: The Indian Express
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :