Khelo India State Centres of Excellence (KISCE) to be established
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Welfare schemes
- The Sports Ministry is all set to establish Khelo India State Centres of Excellence (KISCE) under the ministry’s flagship, Khelo India Scheme to enhance India’s Olympic performance.
- One KISCE will be identified in each state and union territory, with an effort to create a robust sporting ecosystem in the entire country.
- In the first leg, the Ministry has identified state-owned sports facilities in eight states of India:
- Arunachal Pradesh
- The States will run the centres and build capacity to turn them into the world-class sporting facilities.
- They will be responsible for all aspects of management of the centre.
- Funds for expert coaches, supporting staff, equipments, infrastructure will be extended through the Khelo India Scheme.
Important value additions
The Khelo India programme
- It has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as a great sporting nation.
- Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by the High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
Image source: Click here