Lunar Polar Exploration (LPE) Mission between Japan and India
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – International Relations & GS-III – Space
- Japan and India will be launching a joint lunar mission called the Lunar Polar Exploration (LPE).
- The mission aims to put a lander and rover on Moon’s surface.
- The mission will be launched after 2023.
- Japanese space agency JAXA would be building the overall landing module and the rover, while ISRO would develop the lander system.
- It will be launched from Japan, and the designated launch vehicle is the H3 rocket.
- The mission intends to obtain data on the quantity and forms of water resources present, in order to determine the feasibility of utilizing such resources for sustainable space exploration activities in the future.