Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – Welfare Schemes
- PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana was announced as part of the first relief package during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The scheme was announced for a three-month period and ends on June 30.
- The scheme covered 80 crore ration card holders. Each household was provided 5 kg of foodgrains (rice or wheat) and 1 kg of pulses (only channa ) free of cost.
The salient features of the scheme are:
- Government of India would not allow anybody, especially any poor family, to suffer on account of non-availability of food grains due to disruption in the three months.
- 80 crore individuals, i.e, roughly two-thirds of India’s population would be covered under this scheme.
- Each one of them would be provided double of their current entitlement over next three months.
- This additionality would be free of cost.
Do you know?
- According to Union Food and Public Distribution Ministry, 116.02 lakh tonnes of foodgrains have been lifted under the scheme.
- Around 21 States have appealed to the Centre to extend the scheme for another three months till September.
- Food Corporation of India has “sufficient stock of foodgrains”.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :