Turant Customs : flagship programme launched
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) launched its flagship programme Turant Customs at Bengaluru and Chennai.
- Importers will now get their goods cleared from Customs after a faceless assessment which will be done remotely by the Customs officers located outside the port of import.
- Now, the goods imported at Chennai may be assessed by the Customs officers located at Bengaluru and vice versa.
- It will be the first phase of the All India roll out which would get completed by 31st December, 2020.
- The first phase will cover imports of Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics machineries at the ports, airports of Bengaluru and Chennai.
- It will benefit the importers by eliminating routine interface with the Customs officers and providing uniformity in assessment across the country.
Important value additions
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC)
- It is the nodal national agency responsible for administering:
- Central Excise
- Service Tax
- Narcotics in India.
- It comes under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.