Antibiotic use in the dairy sector
Part of: GS Mains II – Health/Social issue
According to Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) report –
- Dairy farmers indiscriminately use antibiotics for diseases such as mastitis (infection/inflammation of the udder), a common ailment in dairy animals
- Antibiotics residues remaining in milk are a cause for concern (antibiotic resistance)
- Milk sold directly to consumers nor processed milk sold in packets are unchecked for antibiotic residues
Do you know?
- India is the world’s largest milk producer
- The abused antibiotics, despite a law against it, are easily available without the prescription of a registered veterinarian and stocked at farms.