Part of: GS Prelims and Mains I and III – Physical Geography; Natural Hazards and Disaster
- Mizoram experienced at least eight moderate earthquakes between June 21 and July 9.
- The epicentre of most of these quakes was beneath Champhai district bordering Myanmar.
- What is important here is – the Mizoram quake zone was caught between two geological faults – Churachandpur Mao Fault and the Mat Fault.
Do you know?
- Faults are discontinuities or cracks that are the result of differential motion within the earth’s crust.
- Vertical or lateral slippage of the crust along the faults causes an earthquake.